Monday, March 24, 2014

EQUINOX ART SHOW & SALE




click on image to enlarge
watercolor
image size:  12 x 12 in. approx.
$190
framed w/mat & glass:  17 x 17 in. approx
$265




Treasure Beneath My Feet


One day I was out by Jordan Lake taking photos.  When I got home I downloaded some of the pics I had taken and I zoomed in on some of the ground shots and I was so amazed by all the color and detail that I was inspired to paint this watercolor.

It seems that often it is the smaller things in life that make it worth living.  It is easy for me to get so caught up in worrying about making ends meet that I get completely cut off from my reasons for being.  Art is one of my reasons for being.  There is no doubt in my mind about that.  The thing is... I am just not sure exactly what is my purpose.  Sure, one could say my purpose is making art and I would agree.  But there is something beyond that.  Something more defined and meaningful.  That is what I keep seeking.

This past winter was long and cold and harsh.  But it was a good winter in a creative/spiritual sense. It forced me to seek within... And that is perhaps the most crucial part of the creative process involved in making the art that fulfills my potential.  What comes next? I don't know but I want to find out.  So I decided to have an online art sale to raise money to buy art supplies.  And also, so I could share about this part of a deeper process that I am trying to understand.  

I am at a point in my life as an artist where I have spent years and years developing my skills as a self-taught artist.  I have explored a variety of different mixed media genres of my own invention.  And now I am ready to do my best work.  I just have to create the opportunity of time and space to do it. So I am exploring different income streams that I can create using my art and abilities. 




click on image to enlarge
pencil on paper
14 x 17 in. approx.

Recently I did a commissioned drawing for a guy who wanted a drawing of his favorite NBA player... not my normal subject matter but I was up for the challenge.  And I thought it turned out pretty good.  It looked really good matted and framed. The response I got when I showed it around to people was very positive.

It got me to thinking about what other kinds of drawings I could offer to do for people that would be more personalized... So many people know someone who had a high school and college sports career and those memories can be forgotten over time... But a special piece of art... a drawing montage commemorating their achievements would make such a nice memory piece to hang on the wall.  

I mentioned to a friend that I was considering this pursuit and she said she had an idea for a drawing she would like me to do.  She said her nephew is a quite good young bowler.  His father and grandfather both have bowled a perfect 300 game.  She said she is going to tell him that when he bowls a 300 (which she believes he will.) She will have a drawing done of the three generations of them together.  And then we will have professional prints made so the family members can have a copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment