Thursday, September 5, 2013

SEASONS OF THE SOUL ~ acquiescence



    willing acceptance...



detail from SEASONS OF THE SOUL
©1993 Stephanie E. Robinson


LIKE MANY ARTISTS, I RESISTED THE PUSH TOWARD MARKETING ONLINE...

Since SEASONS OF THE SOUL was published twenty years ago, more that 4,500 prints have been purchased worldwide.  Most of those were sold through stores like Womencrafts in Provincetown, MA and ArtCraft Framing in Durham, NC.  These two locations were selling hundreds of the prints each year during the 1990s.  I used to like to imagine that each of the prints had a little gps tracking sensor so the location of each one would light up a spot on a map.  That way I could see the connections on a soul level I was making through this piece of art.

After the internet became the way people look for items and locate people, I found that I needed some sort of a way for people to find me if they wanted a Seasons of the Soul print.  But being completely ignorant about computers did not help.  Luckily a good friend of mine made it so people looking for Seasons of the Soul could find me.  He set up an art blog for me in 2006.  Since then it has received 3,000+ visitors from around the world!  He also installed a map that shows where visitors to the blog are from.  Currently the map is showing visitors from the past three years.  Click here to see:  
http://clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://www.seasons-of-the-soul.blogspot.com
On the page where the map is, scroll down and look at the list on the right to see a list of the 47 different countries visitors are from! 

It has taken me a long time to realize and accept that I need to put myself out there and represent my work.  Now it is so easy to set up and maintain a blog, a monkey... I mean I can even do it.  The story is an integral part of the work that must be shared alongside the art.  And this means sharing myself, my process, my inner life, my thoughts, my fears, my realizations, in a much more public way than I have ever even considered before.

NOTE: PLEASE CLICK ON THE CLUSTRMAP SO YOUR VISIT WILL BE COUNTED. (It is located on the top right side of this blog.) THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment