Monday, September 2, 2013

SEASONS OF THE SOUL ~ the story



SEASONS OF THE SOUL
©1993 Stephanie E. Robinson
Click on image to enlarge
image size: 7" x 30" approx.
$40


  Click HERE to view video slideshow


A couple of weeks ago I realized it has been TWENTY YEARS since SEASONS OF THE SOUL was first published.  Over the years it has been like a main sail of my life ship.  But there is a bigger story to this artwork that has taken on a life of its own.

For the next several days I will be making daily posts to this blog telling the story of this remarkable artwork that has touched the lives of thousands of individuals.  I would like to invite everyone who has a Seasons of the Soul related story to share it, if you will, in the comments section of this blog.



SEASONS OF THE SOUL originated as doodles in a sketch book...

There were no subtitles, they were just little doodled stick figures throughout a sketchbook I had been using during a very difficult year... I was in my early twenties and I was dealing with the overwhelming question of, "Am I gay?"  Could this really be happening to me?  Why am I hating myself?  That was so long ago...  These figures came to me during a time of personal crisis.  And I didn't even realize it at the time but the figures were like a symbol language and they told a story... An inner journey, a process...  

It was not until some time later that I came across that particular sketch book and as I flipped through the pages, I noticed the stick figures.  When I drew them together in a line, the progression was easy to see.  At that time, there were only 10 figures.  I knew there needed to be at least one more.  There had to be something else but I just didn't know what...  The final figure revealed itself to me as I was watching the television show, "Fame", and Debbie Allen was dancing and as she moved across the floor, she struck a particular pose that crystalized in my mind's eye. Instantly I knew that was it, the 11th and final figure, "movin' out"!

 From the very beginning, I knew there was something special about Seasons of the Soul.  People reacted to it as it related to their own life stories... I like to imagine that somehow these symbols filtered up through my subconscious from what Carl Jung referred to as the collective unconscious.  And their true origin lies in an ancient awareness that lives on in each of us.
                      
Before the prints were published I would hand paint the watercolor background and draw the figures in ink, over and over to fill the orders for people who wanted one.  The prints were published as hand signed lithographs in 1993 thanks to a generous patron of the arts.


Trust that which gives you meaning
and accept it as your guide.

~ Carl Jung 
          

     



2 comments:

  1. This artwork has a very special place in my heart. It hangs over my fireplace. I used it as a poster to advertise a concert that I sang in the mid 90's. It was reflective of what I had to say as an artist then and is still relevant to the human condition of emerging, growing and becoming. Thank you, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Seasons of the Soul print in Womancrafts store shortly after I began treatment for stage 1 breast cancer. I got the chills when I saw it as I could relate to the seasons as the stages I had been going through dealing with cancer. I hung up the print in my bedroom and looked at it every day to track what I was experiencing emotionally. I could not wait to get to the end of treatment and into the light. Before I could finish my treatment I was diagnosed yet again with a second cancer. This time, stage 3 colon cancer. I turned to the print as I tried to come to grips with the new diagnosis and starting all over again. I had been almost at the end and then I was thrown back to the season of confusion. The print inspired me to continue on through all the seasons once again with the goal of reaching moving out! Yes, moving out of illness and into wellness. My only goal. I am happy to report that I am now cancer-free. Your print continues to inspire me on so many levels. I brought the print into my art therapy class recently to share with my group and everyone loved it. My therapist googled you and found the blog. I am so happy to be able to thank you for your art work and what a healing effect it has on me. Thank you, Stephanie from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete